Concerns



What are your three biggest concerns between now and the midterm election in November 2014?

What are your three biggest concerns?

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

"The Daily Insanity" (@tDailyInsanity Twitter Question to @CombatCongressman


I received a Twitter tweet from @tDailyInsanity (The Daily Insanity), a popular account with over 13,000 followers and a Facebook page with 300 "LIKES", so I promised to answer the anonymous author's question.  The question was:
"@CombatCongress Shouldn't need majority to expect fairness in ballot access, election rules, campaign funding. What will YOU do if elected? -- The Daily Insanity"
I replied with the following tweet:
 "@tDailyInsanity Thank you for the great question! I will give it some thought and post my response on my blog: http://www.CombatCongressman.blogspot.com"
After giving the question some thought as promised, my response is, WHEN elected, I will follow the rules and traditions set forth by generations of congressman before me in addition to our founding fathers.  A majority is required in a federal constitutional republic such as ours to pass legislation (bills) into law.  A simple majority will do much of the time, but a 3/5 majority is required in some situations (Corrections Calendar) and a 2/3 majority in others, including overriding a presidential veto (a very difficult thing to do) as well as voting on constitutional amendments.

As far as fairness in ballot access and election rules are concerned, you do not provide enough information to provide an appropriate comment to a rather historically sensitive process.  I believe the rules governing ballot access and election rules are clear and fair, but there may be still be difficulties in implementation if that was your intention. Although women and minorities have much better access to the voting booth than in years past, I am sure there are still places where some have not fully embraced those rights.  If I discovered unfair or illegal restrictions in the ability of certain people to vote in my district, the problem(s) would get my full attention and I would ensure swift and appropriate actions taken by authorities overseeing the process in question.  The right to vote is one I take extremely seriously and I would not tolerate the hindering of ANY UNITED STATES CITIZEN'S constitutional right to vote.

Finally in terms of campaign funding, a completely separate issue in my eyes, I feel very strongly that we as a nation waste far too much money on political campaigns, money that could be spent on much better things than television attack ads, chartered aircraft, and countless other wasteful campaign tools.  According to Public Radio International 1, presidential and congressional candidates spent between six and seven billion on campaigning in 2012 ... BETWEEN $6,000,000,000 and $7,000,000,000 ... that is a whole bunch of zeroes my friends!  Moreover, that does not include the local races for governor, state assemblies, mayors, and so on.  We could be looking at $10,000,000,000 in all if we considered every campaign in a given election year.

I find it appalling that we waste $10 billion on getting people elected and the process occurs every two years, although a fraction of the spending occurs in midterm elections, taking into account that Obama and Romney accounted for 20% or nearly $2 billion of the $10 billion spent in the 2012 election.  Comparatively speaking, according to Dave Gilson (writing for Mother Jones magazine 2), Abraham Lincoln spent over 260 times less in the 1860 election ($2.8 million in today's dollars) than was spent last November.  That still seems like a lot of money to me even if 2012 numbers dwarf that amount.

To answer your question, I believe we desperately need campaign-spending reform.  I do not know about you, but I start "tuning out" the political rhetoric, attacks, and other garbage spewing from my television only days after the campaign ads start.  What good are they really doing and is it worth $10 billion?  I say not.  My reforms would impose strict limits, as is the case in many European countries, setting caps on campaign spending commensurate with the level of the race. An example follows:

·         Presidential Elections:          $250,000 Limit per Candidate
·         Congressional Elections:       $100,000
·         Gubernatorial Elections:       $  50,000
·         State House / Senate:           $  25,000
·         Mayorial / Judge / Other:   $  10,000 

Modern advertising has changed drastically in recent years with the advent of social media and just think how much could be done on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, and blogs, including much more focused advertising as is the case with Facebook, YouTube, and Google AdSense or AdWords.  Print advertising has become outdated and television is slowly becoming obsolete because of DVRs and TVO, with citizens recording their favorite shows and fast forwarding through commercials, particularly campaign ads. What a huge waste of money!

If television stations want to focus on the issues in a particular race, they could give, voluntarily and on their own dime, a specific amount of airtime to candidates, but all candidates should get equal amounts of time in equivalent time slots to maintain fairness. We could achieve several things if we could implement all or some of my suggestions above:

1.   The billions we spend every two years could go toward reducing the deficit or paying for the things that would preclude reductions in personnel and benefits, usually the first two things on the chopping block when things get tight.

2.   We might actually be able to focus on important issues, knowing that candidates will want more "bang for the buck" and eliminating or at least reducing the negative "attack" advertising that has become commonplace in today's elections.

3.   If campaign funding caps such as those above were enacted AND strict limits on individual and corporate donations were enforced (say $2,500 maximum in a presidential election) AND candidates were given a modest campaign stipend by the government, then the SUPER PACs, lobbyists, and other large donors would have FAR LESS control and influence on candidates.  Candidates would then be able to focus on more critical issues, such as those that are important to their constituents rather than those of the “big spenders”.


This is a radical yet simple approach and a change I believe would be hard to sell, particularly to those large donating machines that control many elected officials today.  In my own campaign, I plan on limiting spending to "as little as possible", effectively utilizing social networking at a fraction of the cost of TV, radio, and print advertising.  I will also get out into my district and meet the people, what I call "leadership by walking around", shaking hands, listening to what my constituents have to say, giving them my card, and shaking their hand ... asking for their vote by looking them in the eye and telling them "you can count on me ... Integrity First, Honor Always!"

I hope this answers your question.  Feel free to comment or contact me for clarification or additional information.  Thank you for taking the time to reach out and for taking interest in my opinion.

Regards,

Thomas C. Sorrentino, LtCol, USAF (Ret)
a.k.a. CombatCongressman

1. Source: http://www.pri.org/stories/politics-society/government/estimated-cost-of-2012-campaign-6-billion3276.html

2. Source: http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2012/02/historic-price-cost-presidential-elections


No comments: